From our cars to cafeterias, we’re undertaking considerable efforts to conserve resources and minimize the use of nonrenewable materials.
Our first priority is to avoid unnecessary resource consumption. When supplies are required, the use of recyclable and low-impact materials are at the top of our list.
As part of our sustainable procurement process, we use materials that are recyclable and made from renewable and recycled materials.
- We use Fresh Wave® car cleaning products, which are made of natural plant extracts, are bio-degradable and are nontoxic
- Our janitorial paper supplies are 100% recycled and chlorine-free
- We’ve banned the use of chlorinated solvents at our maintenance facilities
IT Equipment Recycling
Since 2005, Hertz has contracted with an IT equipment recycling supplier, which has zero landfill and zero export policies, for the disposal of our electronic and IT equipment. To date, this program has:
- Recycled more than 50,000 IT units (computers, monitors, etc.)
- Diverted 2 million metric tons of equipment from landfills
Globally, Hertz is implementing paper-reduction programs, such as printer consolidation, double-sided printing, e-forms and online office applications.
- Since 2006, we’ve reduced our paper use by about 2.8 million pounds
- Since 2009, Hertz headquarter printer consolidation efforts have reduced desktop printer numbers by over 52%
Waste Disposal & Recycling
To help minimize natural resource consumption and efficiently manage costs, we prioritize materials and goods that can be recycled and reused.
Recycling at our U.S. rental locations:
- More than 645,000 gallons of used oil were recycled in 2010
5.1 metric tons of carbon emissions have been avoided through our 2010 oil-recycling efforts
- This carbon reduction is equivalent to saving about 560,000 gallons of gasoline or
- Growing 135,000 trees for 10 years
- More than 8,000 gallons of cleaning solvent were recycled in 2010
Recycling at our U.S. offices:
- Corporate cafeterias recycle a variety of paper, plastic and Styrofoam products, diverting thousands of tons of waste from landfills
Since early 2010, we’ve recycled nearly 4.8 million pounds of office paper. This program has saved the equivalent of:
- 9.8 million cubic yards of landfill space
- 16 million gallons of water
Green Week at Hertz
Hertz Green Week is an employee-driven initiative to help raise awareness about Hertz environmental programs and encourage everyone to get involved and learn about green opportunities at work. Events include green product demonstrations, free e-waste recycling collection and visual displays to help educate team members about environmental impacts at work and how these can be minimized.
Hertz Environmental Impacts
50,000 IT units recycled since 2005
More than 80% of car wash water is recycled
645,000 gallons of used oil recycled in 2010
Printer toner use reduced by 45% since 2008
40,000 trees saved since 2010 via paper recycling
Annual paper use reduced by 56% since 2006
2.7 million kWh of solar energy produced annually